BeepStreet has introduced Drambo, a new modular groovebox and audio processing environment for iOS.
With Drambo, you can use modular components to create instruments and effects. Then you can create beats and sequences, using a built-in step sequencer.
Drambo can be used as:
- A complete music production and performance environment.
- A modular playground that allows you to build, modify and store custom instruments and effects. For instance:build a custom synth, sample and resample, build a Theremin using a gyroscope module, or turn your table into a playable surface, by processing microphone input with physical modelling modules. Get weird or make functional instruments and tools.
- A MIDI sequencer that works with hardware and AUv3 instruments (e.g. Drambo sequences other instruments in an AU host app). Moreover Drambo can generate custom MIDI CC messages or modulation signals to control modular synths via DC coupled interfaces.
- An AUv3 synthesizer, effect or sequencer in other DAWs.
Here’s what they have to say about Drambo:
At the heart of Drambo lies an entirely new concept that makes modularity easy, fun and affordable. Modules are connected automatically, with no cables as you add or rearrange them. A dynamic interface creates modulation knobs when you need them. Modules may house other modules, so you can keep your patch well organized.
Of course, automatic connections can be overridden. In Drambo you can focus on playing with sound and signal structure without getting lost in wires.
Use a deep and innovative sequencer to compose patterns and whole tracks, for production or live performance. Go beyond simple looping sequences with parameter locking, conditional step components, and powerful scene morphing.
Drambo works equally well as a self-contained standalone app or audio unit plugin with audio and MIDI connectivity as an AUV3 instrument, audio effect, and midi effect. No modular experience necessary to get started playing with preset sounds and effects.
- Unique modular concept: cable-less, drag’n’drop, color coding dynamic interface, automatic connections, and customizable compact, rack views.
- Directional flow (helps in better overview). There are no instant feedback routings in Drambo. Delayed feedback is possible using certain modules.
- Simple and clean interface, that scales to every size and device orientation
- Custom modular racks, presets on different levels.
- Polyphonic, stereo processing. Audio-rate modulation. All signals are equal.
- Multiple modulators per parameter without additional mixer modules.
- Polyphonic step sequencer with parameter locks and step components. Up to 64 beats and 256 steps per pattern.
- Over 120 modules available, such as: oscillators, samplers, physical modelling modules, LFOs, envelope generators, filters, audio effects mixers, MIDI processors, sequencers and math functions.
- Morph groups: you can morph many parameters using a single slider.
- Available as a standalone app, AUv3 instrument, effect and midi effect.
- MIDI support
Here’s a short demo of Drambo in action:
Here’s a quick look at building a synth patch:
Here’s a series of video tutorials by Ben Richards:
Pricing and Availability
Drambo is available now for $19.99 USD....